Friday, 15 October 2010

Mission Statement

From time to time when I've nothing better to do (or, more accurately, when I should be doing something far more productive) I have a tendency to indulge in a spot of navel gazing as I try to decide what this blogging lark is all about.

Somewhat surprisingly this blog has now been going since May 2007, starting as merely something to satisfy idle curiosity before developing into a regular gig. I still don't fully understand what it's for or why I do it and, more pertinently, I haven't a clue why anyone would read what I write. I guess that, ultimately, it's a chance for me to let flow what little creative juices I have and an opportunity to voice my opinions on rugby without having watch Mrs Flanker's eyes glaze over as I do so.

I know that it's fashionable for organisations these days to come up with a "mission statement" that goes to the very essence of what they're all about. Despite my contemplations, I'm not sure I'm quite in a position to go that far but, as an exercise in pure unadulterated self-indulgence, I thought I'd jot down a few thoughts about what Total Flanker is, and what it is not. So, not even close to a mission statement, but here goes:
  1. Total Flanker is about opinion, i.e. my utterly biased, often unfair and mostly uninteresting rugby opinion. If you don't agree with it, great - I am more than happy for you to say so.
  2. Total Flanker is not about rugby news, not unless it involves something a bit left-field, or something a little weird, or something that just captures my imagination.
  3. Total Flanker will continue to chronicle my increasingly sporadic (some might say pathetic) attempts to continue to play the game - although it came as quite a shock when I realised that I hadn't actually laced my boots in anger since October 2009.
  4. Total Flanker is not about making money and carries no advertising for the very good reason that there's very little money to be made (and anyone who says otherwise is either lying or knows something I don't).
That's it. Utterly pointless, I know. My apologies if you've read this far expecting enlightenment (hardly likely).

3 comments:

Nursedude said...

Three plus years...as the late Jerry Garcia once sang: "What a long, strange trip it's been."

All I know is that the Rugby Blogosphere has allowed me to share opinions and stories about rugby. Your blog is an integral part of my reading. Keep up the great work.

I bet you never imagined how many people in so many places would follow your blog.

Hannah Chia said...

Personally new to this blogging lark as well and I more or less agree with what you've said about why you blog. Enjoy what I've read of your posts so far & look forward to reading more.

I have just started a general sports blog, The Sporting Wag (thesportingwag.blogspot.com), mainly because I like writing & I wanted to provide friends with an alternative view of watching sport in the UAE.

scrumdownliverpool said...

I think that's blogging in a nutshell, your chance to be the person expressing your opinions on things that matter to you.

I've set up my own blog http://scrumdownliverpool.wordpress.com to look at coaching issues affecting Liverpool based rugby teams and that's basically the essence of blogging, you giving your opinion on something that matters to you so keep it up!